About Basement Masters & Our Services

Planning & Legal Queries

  • Who will arrange my plans and planning permission?
    Rest assured, Basement Masters will draw up your plans and liaise with the local authority for all the planning permission and building regulations required.
  • Do I need planning permission?
    In most instances where a habitable living area is to be created, planning permission should be sort. However, in some circumstances, where a cellar already exists and the work will not alter the façade of the property, planning permission may not be required. If in doubt, we will seek confirmation from the planners on your behalf.
  • What is Building Regulations and will I need approval?
    Yes, almost certainly, unless your basement work is only of a cosmetic nature. Building Regulations are provided under powers provided in the Building Act 1984, they contain dealing with definitions, procedures, what is expected in terms of the technical performance of building work and how the building should comply in the interests of the health and safety of the building users.
  • What is a Party Wall Notice and will I need to serve?
    Most likely, it is possible to be living in a detached property up to six metres away from the adjacent property and still require to serve notice. We will be able to give you some guidance on this, we can also introduce you to Party Wall Surveyors if needed.

    The Party Wall Act provides the framework for the resolution of any neighbour related construction issues. It cannot be used by your neighbour as a means to prevent you installing a basement.
  • Do I need an existing cellar space or basement?

    No, you do not need an existing cellar or basement area below your existing property. Complete basements can and have been installed without the need for this, in fact most of our basements have been installed where no previous space existed below the property.



The Work